Parks for You and Your Dog
revised 3/94 and 5/99
- San Francisco Recreation and Parks Department
(415) 666-7201/7107 or see the City of San Francisco Recreation and Parks Dept. website.
Leashed dogs are allowed at all parks. Off-Leash Dog
Walking Areas are located at the following locations:
Considerations are underway for additional off-leash areas (see SF Chronicle article from
5/7/99). This list will be updated once the Parks Commission has made final decisions.
Golden Gate Park:
- Area bounded by Lincoln Way, King Dr., 2nd and 7th Aves.
- Northeast corner of park at Stanyan and Grove Sts.
- Area bounded by King Dr., Middle Dr., 34th and 38th Aves.
- Fenced dog training area at 38th Av. and Fulton St.
- Buena Vista Park: Buena Vista Ave. West at Central St.
- Mountain Lake Park: east end at 8th Av.
- Stern Grove: north side off Wawona between 21st and 23rd Aves.
- Lake Merced: north side at Lake Merced and Middlefield Av.
- Bernal Heights: entire top section bounded by Bernal Heights Blvd.
- Top section bounded by Shelley and Mansell Drives;
- South section reached from 1600 blocks of Sunnydale or Geneva.
- Potrero Hill Mini Park: 22nd St. btwn. Arkansas and Connecticut.
- Dolores Park: 18th St. bewteen Church and Dolores Sts.
- Lafayette Park: Sacramento between Octavia and Gough.
- Corona Heights Plgd. Area at corner of Roosevelt and Museum Ways.
- Alta Plaza: Clay betweeen Scott and Steiner (second terrace only).
- Douglas Playground: at end of 27th St. btwn. fence & Diamond Heights Blvd.
Selected Peninsula & South Bay Cities
(courtesy, in part, of Peninsula Humane Society, 4/94)
- (650) 595-7441 or City of Belmont Parks & Recreation website.
Twin Pines Park, Water Dog Lake Park
- Menlo Park
- (650) 858-3470
- (650) 259-2360
Central Park, Constitution Park
- Palo Alto
- (650) 329-2423 or PA Parks & Recreation Dept.
Dogs allowed in most all parks except Foothill Park on
leash; some parks have dog run areas.
- San Carlos
- (650) 593-8011 or the San Carlos Parks and Recreation website.
Big Canyon Park, Heather Park
- San Mateo
- (650) 377-4640 or the San Mateo Parks and Recreation website.
Bayside-Joinville Park, Beresford Park Central Park, Laurelwood Park
- San Jose
(408) 277-4661 or City of San Jose Dept. of Parks,
Recreation and Neighborhood Services website.
[regulations not known]
- Santa Cruz
- (831) 429-3777 or Santa Cruz Parks & Recreation website.
Dogs allowed on leash at all parks.
Selected East Bay Cities
- (510) 644-6530 or Berkeley Parks and Waterfront website.
Dog run in Ohlone Park.
- (510) 531-2205 or the Oakland Office of Parks and Recreation website.
Leashed dogs allowed in Joaquin Miller Park but are not allowed in urban, "flatland" parks.
<== Back 5 of