Trails, Parks and Environmental Links
- Arastradero Preserve Stewardship Project
- Habitat restoration
- California Native Plant Society - Santa Clara Valley
- Habitat restoration
- Habitat restoration: Planting for the Second Hundred
Years, an oak regeneration program on Stanford University
- Midpeninsula Regional Open Space District (MROSD)
- Trail work and habitat restoration on MROSD lands in
the Santa Cruz Mountains
- Santa Cruz Mountains Trails Association
- Trail maintenance and construction primarily in
Castle Rock SP, Big Basin SP, and the Skyline to the Sea
- "Preserving and enhancing trails in Santa Cruz
County." Currently focusing on Nisene Marks, Wilder Ranch
and Soquel Forest.
- California Trail Connection
- Links to trail organizations throughout
- Pacific Crest Trail Association
- Sponsors one-day to week-long maintenance and
construction parties on the PCT at various locations
along the PCT's route through California, Oregon and
- Tahoe Rim Trail Association
- Construction and maintenance on the 150 mile Tahoe
Rim Trail, which encompasses the ridge tops of the Lake
Tahoe Basin, crossing six counties, two states and
overlapping with approximately fifty miles of the Pacific
Crest National Scenic Trail. Workdays from the end for
June until the middle of October, including two weekend
backcountry camps each season.
- New Mexico Volunteers for the Outdoors (NMVFO)
- NMVFO runs numerous projects throughout the state
each project season (March-October). Recent projects have
included restoration at Coronado State Monument, as well
as trail work on many public lands.
- A confederation of 30+ groups, agencies and retail
stores, Trails4All coordinates volunteer efforts and
raise funds for trail projects in Orange County, CA.
Members include equestrians, hikers, mountain-bicyclists
and trail runners.
- Volunteers for Outdoor Colorado (VOC)
- Volunteer programs throughout the state from
April-October, in partnership with land management
agencies and other non-profits. Projects range from
wilderness trail work to urban tree planting. VOC runs a
volunteer clearinghouse and active training program with
workshops in leadership, trail construction and
maintenance skills, and program management.
Volunteers for Outdoor Washington (VOW)
- Volunteer projects throughout Washington State in
both wilderness and urban areas. One of their most
high-profile projects is the Iron Goat Trail, a
rails-to-trails project in the Stevens Pass area of the
Washington Cascades 60 miles north of Seattle, which will
eventually include several miles of barrier-free
- American Hiking Society
- Sponsors one- to two-week Volunteer Vacations in
various locations across the country - over 75 trips each
year. Most focus on trail construction and
- Sierra Club
- The Sierra Club sponsors numerous U.S. and
international service trips throughout the year in
addition to a wide variety of recreational trips. Service
trips range from trail maintenance/construction to exotic
weed mapping and meadow restoration in national parks and
forests. See the Service Trips page for specific
See the Trail Center Outdoor Activity Guide for more
local recreational and volunteer opportunities. If you have
a site to suggest for this page, please e-mail us a link
and a brief review.
Trail Center. All rights reserved.
Please contact the Web Manager
for corrections or comments.