The Trail Companion
Theme: The Trail Center at the End of the
A Catalog of Trail Projects, 1983-1999
Ravenswood Preserve (MROSD)
- Ravenswood Trail
- (1985; 5 days): 5400 ft. long trail construction atop
a levee. Construction consisted primarily of spreading
gravel for tread surface. First major TIVC project.
Rancho San Antonio Open Space Preserve (MROSD)
- Wildcat Loop Trail
- (1988; CTD; 3 vols.): Restore trail intersection with
High Meadow Trail.
Sanborn-Skyline County Park
- Sanborn Trail
- (1984; SCMTD; co-sponsored by SCMTA; 9 vols.): 1/4
- (1998; 5 days; 80 vols.): Tread restoration, water
bars and a 200 ft. reroute.
- Skyline Trail
- (1989; CTD; 16 vols.): Short reroute, culvert
installation and maintenance.
- (1990; CTD; 45 vols.): Maintenance and
- (1993; 1 day; 9 vols.): Maintenance.
- (1998; see Sanborn Trail, 1998):
Tread restoration; drainage work.
- Skyline Trail to Lake Ranch
- (1986; CTD [proposed]): A 2.5-mile extension of the
Skyline Trail was planned, but carried out.
- [Unspecified trail(s)]
- (1985; SCMTD; cosponsored by SCMTA and Sempervirens
Fund): Trail maintenance.
San Bruno Mountain County and State Park (SMC/State
- [Unspecified trail]
- (1984; SCMTD co-sponsored by SCMTA and SMC Parks; 2
vols.): 1.4 mile of rocky trail repaired
San Mateo Shoreline (City of San Mateo)
- Bay Trail
- (1997; 4 days; 108 vols.): The paved Bay Trail runs
along a levee in San Mateo-TC volunteers built a parallel
alternative with a dirt and wood chip surface next to a
tidal canal for wilder experience. The flat 0.7 mile long
trail connects Ryder and Harborview Parks and is
semi-accessible for wheelchair users (due to uneven
- (1998; 1 day; 10 vols.): Woodchips spread over half
the length for improved accessibility during wet
Santa Teresa County Park (SCC)
- Stile Ranch Trail
- (1990-1991; 12 days; 1346 vols.); New Bay Area Ridge
Trail segment across IBM easement, connecting Fortini Rd.
and Mine Trail in Santa Teresa County
Park. Massive rock walls at switchbacks built under
direction of former Peace Corp road engineer Don Axtell
can be easily seen from the air. Portable jackhammers
were used in some areas. Dedicated in September of
- (1992-1993; 1 day + CTD (1993); 45+ vols.): Tread
maintenance and restoration. Adobe soil badly damaged by
heavy equestrian and bicycle traffic.
Saratoga Gap Open Space Preserve (MROSD)
- Saratoga Gap Trail
- (1993; CTD; 9 vols.): Trail repair.
|Bay Area Ridge Trail, Skyline Ridge
Skyline Ridge Open Space Preserve (MROSD)
- Ridge Trail (Hiking route)
- (1991; 4 days; 113 vols.): Fully construct half of
hiking alternate for Bay Area Ridge
Trail on ridge south of Horseshoe Pond; complete
tread and finish work on remainder (cut by trail
Skylonda Fitness Resort
- [Connector trails to Skyline Trail,
Wunderlich/Huddart County Parks, La Honda Creek Open
Space Preserve and El Corte de Madera Open Space
- (1992; proposed): Trails primarily for use by the
resort, but with public access.
Stern Grove (City of San Francisco)
- [Unnamed trail] (Bay Area Ridge Trail
- (1989; CTD; 8 vols.): Restoration and maintenance on
a short RT connector.
Back 6 of 7 Next
Trail Center. All rights reserved.
Please contact the Web Manager
for corrections or comments.