The Trail Companion
Theme: The Trail Center at the End of the
A Catalog of Trail Projects, 1983-1999
Stevens Creek County Park (SCC)
- Stevens Creek Trail (aka Lower Stevens Creek
Trail, REI Trail, Stevens Canyon Trail)
- (1986-1987; 400+ vols.) New two-mile long new trail
connects the Old Canyon Trail with the Stevens Canyon.
REI provided BBQs throughout the project. Dedicated in
May 1988. Longest new trail in TC history.
|Culvert on the Stevens Creek
Trail, Spring 1987
- (1988-1990; CTD (1988, 1989) + 2 additional days; 54
vols.): Winter storm, slide damage repair; tread
- (1998; 1 day + NTD; 92 vols.): Major restoration
effort with several large retaining walls, slide cleanup,
steps, a plank bridges and tread work to repair El Nino
- (1999; proposed): Bridge, step and boardwalk to
replace creek crossing expected to fail with next heavy
- Stevens Creek Trail extension
- (1988-1990; see Stevens Creek Trail,
1988-1990): Connector trail between Stevens Creek
Trail and Lookout Trail/Madrone
Sweeney Ridge (GGNRA)
- Sweeney Ridge Notch Trail
- (1992; proposed): Bay Area Ridge
Trail segment; not built due to environmental
impact and planning considerations.
Upper Stevens Creek County Park (SCC)
- Alternate Trail
- (1991; 1 day; 5 vols.): Brushing, light treadwork.
One of only two workdays held on snowy trails.
- (1992; 6 days; 60+ vols.): Trail maintenance and
reroute of two steep sections a 2-mile, lightly-used,
lightly-built trail which descends from Skyline Boulevard
to Table Mountain parallel to Charcoal
- Stevens Canyon Trail
- (1990; 4 days; 100+ vols.): Repair 1/2 mile of narrow
but popular trail so County would agree to keep it open
to bikes. We widened sections of the trail, and rerouted
1/4 mile of steep trail just south of the Table
Mountain Trail and relocated the junction 100
yards up the canyon.
- Bay Area Ridge Trail
- (1991; see Alternate Trail, 1991):
Tread maintenance and brushing.
- Stevens Canyon Trail
- (1991; CTD; 47 vols.): Maintenance work on connector
between Lower and Upper Stevens Creek County Parks.
- Table Mountain Trail
- (1994; 4 days, 62 vols.): Repair 1.1 mile existing
trail descending from Table Mountain to junction with
Canyon Trail at Stevens Creek.
Windy Hill Open Space Preserve (MROSD)
- [Connector to Spring Ridge
- (1992; proposed): Trail would have replaced existing
social trails cutting near inholdings between
Corte Madera Creek and Spring Ridge
- [Unspecified trail]
- (1984; SCMTD co-sponsored by SCMTA and MROSD; 19
vols.): 100 ft. new construction and loop trail
Wunderlich County Park (SMC)
- Alambique Trail
- (1984; SCMTD co-sponsored by SCMTA and SMC Parks; 16
vols.): 1 mile of trail repair.
- Bear Gulch Trail
- (1985; 5 days): Trail restoration over 2.46 miles
between park headquarters and The Meadows.
- (1986; 1 day): Trail repair; construction of 400-ft.
log fence in The Meadows for revegetation.
- (1988; CTD): Tread restoration.
- (1989; CTD + 1 day; 17+ vols.): General trail
restoration-brushing, drain dips, etc.
- (1990; CTD; 28 vols.): Tread restoration.
- Skyline Trail
- (1986; see Huddart Park, Skyline
Trail, 1986): Trail repair.
- (1989; CTD; 13 vols.): Finish work prior to
- [Unspecified trail(s)]
- (1985; SCMTD; cosponsored by SCMTA and Sempervirens
Fund; 77 vols.): Trail maintenance.
Back 7 of 7
Trail Center. All rights reserved.
Please contact the Web Manager
for corrections or comments.