Huddart County Park
In August 1840, the Governor of Spanish California granted the land, later called Rancho Canada de Raymundo, to John Coppinger, an Irishman who had become a naturalized Mexican citizen. This 12,545-acre rancho contained the 973 acres, which are now Huddart Park.
Near the park is the historic Woodside Store built in 1853 by Dr. Orville Tripp. Tripp's store was at the hub of activity during this early logging boom since about 15 sawmills were within five miles of its door.
James Huddart was a wealthy San Francisco lumberman and long-time resident of Woodside. Before his death on in 1935, Huddart deeded 900 acres of his property to the County of San Francisco with the provision that it would be accepted and developed into a public park.
Today Huddart Park contains numerous camping and day-use areas, and is a popular spot for hikers and equestrians.
Here is a map of Huddart Park.
Location: Huddart County Park, Woodside, California - Huddart County Park Trails
Directions: To get to the park, exit Interstate 280 going toward the town of Woodside. Slowly go through the town (25 mph enforced speed limit). Approximately 1 mile past the town, exit on the right on Kings Mountain Road at the sign for Huddart Park. Follow Kings Mtn Rd approximately 2 miles. Entrance to the park will be on the right. Kings Mtn Rd will continue on the left. At the kiosk tell the Ranger that you are a volunteer with the Trail Center.
Agency: San Mateo County Parks and Recreation - Priscilla Alvarez, Head Ranger
Supervisor: Justin Knowles
Project Lead: Dave Taylor
Additional Information: Participants should bring two liters of water, some energy snacks, sunscreen, sturdy shoes and normal precautions against poison oak exposure (work gloves, long sleeved shirts and long pants). The Trail Center provides tools, training, gloves, and refreshments after the workday.
Assemble at 8:30 am for our safety talk and crew assignments. Work begins at 9:00 am.